Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys in Washington, DC
HELPING AUTO ACCIDENT VICTIMS & THEIR FAMILIES
Over the years, statistics have shown us that traffic injuries and fatalities in Washington, D.C. are on the rise. Although these statistics also show us that the majority of crashes that occur are fender-benders, some of these accidents are incredibly serious in nature. Car accidents in the District of Columbia happen for many reasons including, but not limited to distracted driving, drunk driving, and speeding. Many of these accidents could be prevented if drivers paid close attention to their surroundings and abided by the rules of the road at all times.
Our personal injury attorneys at Fay Law Group understand how challenging it can be to be involved in a Washington, D.C. motor vehicle accident. After the accident, there are many complex legal steps that need to be taken to preserve your rights to bring a claim against the at-fault party. If you or a loved one have been injured by a negligent party in a motor vehicle accident, you deserve compensation for your losses under the District of Columbia law. An experienced motor vehicle accident attorney can handle legal complexities of your case so you can focus on healing.
The attorneys at Fay Law Group will assist you in navigating the complicated legal process. We have been actively and aggressively defending the rights of clients in Maryland and the District of Columbia with proven results for over 50 years. Our firm will investigate your claim and assess the damages to ensure you obtain the full compensation available to you under Washington, D.C. law. We pride ourselves in our prompt communication, client-centered service, and care and compassion towards the victim.
Negotiating a motor vehicle accident claim can be confusing and time-consuming. We will negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company or attorney for the at-fault party to preserve your rights to file a case, should the settlement offer from either party not be sufficient. The skilled attorneys at the Fay Law Group employ only professional, leading experts to assist in investigating the accident and help present the strongest case possible to obtain the maximum compensation due to you. If you are in need of direct help with your personal injury claim, our attorneys at Fay Law Group are waiting to take your call at (202) 589-1300 so that we can help you navigate the legal system.
Learn more about what to do after a traffic accident by calling our Washington DC auto accident attorneys at (202) 589-1300 to schedule a free initial consultation. You may also contact our law firm online.
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer After a Washington, D.C. Car Accident
Many people believe that they will be able to handle their car accident claim on their own, which is not normally in your best interest. Motor vehicle accidents have many facets that need to be addressed and legal steps that need to be followed. The attorneys at Fay Law Group are familiar with the many aspects of a car accident claim and can assist you to achieve the compensation you deserve by engaging in the following legal procedures:
- Negotiating with the defendant’s insurance company
- Obtaining all the necessary evidence to prove that the other party is liable
- Obtain and evaluate your medical bills and lost wages
- Investigating your injuries and diagnosis to prove your claim
- Negotiating with the at-fault party’s legal representative
- Meeting court filing deadlines
There are many reasons why having an experienced attorney will help you obtain the maximum settlement due to you under Washington, D.C. law.
Negotiating with the at-fault’s insurance company may seem like they are negotiating in your best interest. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, not paying a deserving amount on accident claims. They will negotiate a lower amount than you could be entitled under Washington, D.C. law, as they know you are under stress to pay for the damages and medical bills you may be facing. You should always consult with an attorney before negotiating with an insurance company or the defendant’s legal representative.
At Fay Law Group, we can handle the negotiations with the insurance company or the defendant’s legal representative. Insurance companies will present a settlement offer to you quickly after the accident. You should direct the insurance company to Fay Law Group in order to handle the negotiations on your behalf. Our firm can analyze the settlement and ensure you will receive proper compensation to cover your medical bills and other damages to which you may be entitled. Your options will be clearly explained to you in order for you to make an informed decision regarding the settlement.
Our firm will work to successfully achieve the highest compensation allowed under Washington, D.C. law. There are legal procedures that need to be followed to properly handle your claim. These include, but are not limited to a full investigation into the details of the motor vehicle accident, employing leading experts to aid in the investigation, completing all necessary legal documents, meeting court filing and appearance deadlines, preparing you for the settlement process, identifying any potential witnesses and obtaining their statements, as well as many other procedures to prepare you to attend a trial, if necessary.
At Fay Law Group, our Washington, D.C. personal injury attorneys understand the turmoil you may be facing after your accident. We will tackle the legal procedures in your case and provide you with prompt and courteous communication, with client-centered service, and compassionate care. As the case advances, we will prepare you for each phase of the settlement or litigation as it becomes necessary. Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not have any fees when you retain the services of our firm. You will only pay fees when you have received monetary damages in your case. Speak with us as soon as possible so that you can maintain your rights at (202) 589-1300.
Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Various types of accidents take place in Washington, D.C. on the roads and highways every single day. Some of the most common types include, but are not limited to:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving claimed approximately 3,100 lives across the United States alone in 2017. A distracted driver could be engaging in any activity that takes their attention away from the roadways. These include talking on your cellphone, speaking with passengers in the vehicle, eating while driving, fiddling with the radio or GPS, or other related acts. Accidents can happen instantly if you take your attention off the road, which is the reason they should be avoided.
- Driving Under the Influence: Drunk driving is one of the leading causes of fatal accidents in the U.S. Alcohol and drugs can reduce the function of your brain, impair your thinking and judgment, and also affect your muscle coordination while you are trying to navigate the roads in your vehicle. This can lead to an extremely dangerous situation. DUI is illegal and leads to harsh punishments and high fines.
- Product Liability: Defective parts in a vehicle or the vehicle in whole, can lead to motor vehicle accidents. In these cases, you might find that the designer or manufacturer of a vehicle has a duty of care that has been neglected and would liable for your injury claim rather than a driver.
- Driving Conditions: The conditions of a roadway or inclement weather at the time of the motor vehicle accident can lead to serious accidents. Drivers are still required to exercise caution on our roads at all times, but municipalities sometimes fall liable for these accidents if it was their responsibility to maintain the roads.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless driving accidents are some of the most common accidents on our roads. They take place due to acts of speeding above the posted limit, tailgating or following another vehicle too closely, running red lights and stop signs, or engaging in road rage among other reasons.
Steps You Should Take After a Motor Vehicle Accident
After you have been involved in an accident, you may need direction as to your next steps. Your safety, health, and well-being should be your top priority. The first thing that you should always do is check to see if you or any other parties involved in the accident were injured. The following are important steps that we suggest you take immediately after you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident:
- Collect Contact Information: Contact information should be collected from all drivers involved in the accident or any witnesses that may be present. The information that should be collected includes, but is not limited to driver’s license information, including full name, address, and DL number; insurance company name and policy number; license plate numbers from all involved vehicles; vehicle information – make, model, color, and any damages; and, the location of the incident. Never discuss fault with another driver, as your attorney and insurance company can discuss these matters privately.
- Take Photographs: Photographs are some of the best evidence you can obtain, as they show the scene exactly as it appeared at the time of the incident. You should always attempt to capture the accident from different angles and show the damages that have been done to both vehicles. It would also be diligent to take photos of all documents presented to you for information, such as driver’s licenses and insurance papers. These photographs can then be shared with your attorney and insurer through the claims process, as they may be invaluable in determining fault.
- Seek Medical Attention: If there are obvious injuries at the scene, it is important to call 911 immediately or ask another person to do so if you are not able. If you or anybody has been seriously injured, try not to move and wait for emergency responders. You should always go to the hospital even if you feel you have not sustained an injury. Some injuries take time to appear, so you should be evaluated to protect your health as well as justify your claim.
- Obtain Police Report: If a police officer is not dispatched to the scene of your accident, you should go to the nearest police station and complete a motor vehicle accident report. If a police officer is present at the scene, they will complete a police report that you or your attorney can later request to assist you with the claims process.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: It is important to contact your insurance company to provide them with the information you have collected and to file a claim for your damages. However, you should speak with your attorney before contacting the insurance company. They will likely handle this step on your behalf.
- Contact an Attorney: An experienced motor vehicle accident attorney will assist with ensuring your legal rights are protected. Your attorney will advise you as to the next steps you will need to handle. They will work with the insurance companies and the defendant’s attorney to negotiate the maximum compensation allowed under Washington, D.C. law.
Types of Damages in a Personal Injury Claim
There are two types of damages that you will likely receive in your accident case: punitive or compensatory damages.
- Compensatory Damages: Compensatory damages are broken down into two subsets – economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are direct expenses, such as medical bills (past, present, and future) and loss of wages. Non-economic damages are harder to calculate and based on the losses and harms suffered; for instance, pain and suffering, disability, and loss of consortium.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are rarely awarded in personal injury claims. These are reserved for conduct by companies deemed as egregious. It is used to punish companies for their conduct and deter them from acting the same way in the future.
Why You Should Work with Fay Law Group
The court system, insurance companies, and the other party’s attorney can make a stressful situation even more worrisome for you. It is imperative that you choose a legal advocate who can protect your rights and offer you the assistance you deserve when an accident has taken a toll on your life. At Fay Law Group, we are here to hold a liable party accountable for their actions and help you gain proven case results in your claim. We have over 50 years of experience assisting clients throughout the Washington, D.C. area successfully triumph in their cases. There are no upfront fees or costs to start your case. We work on a contingency basis, so we do not receive fees or costs unless we help you obtain monetary compensation from a settlement or litigation. Please contact one of our Washington, D.C. car accident attorneys immediately at (202) 589-1300 to get started on your claim.
Contact our firm today at (202) 589-1300 for your free case evaluation.
“Warm, welcoming, and always available to speak to you.”
– Dave G.
“Such an amazing group of people!”
– Stacey P.
“I appreciate you all very much!”
– Debbie R.
Let's Talk About Your Case
FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW TO START YOUR FREE CONSULTATION OR
CALL OUR ATTORNEYS AT (202) 589-1300.
Washington DC Personal Injury Attorneys
Copyright © 2018