800-522-2715 (Toll Free)
Mr. Altemus entered private practice in 1994, after completing a judicial clerkship with the Honorable James L. Ryan of the Montgomery County Circuit Court. During the ensuing two plus decades, he has represented clients in a wide range of cases throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia. They have included wrongful death, medical malpractice, catastrophic injury, automobile accidents and felony criminal actions. In doing so, he has been lead counsel in dozens of jury trials and an even greater number of bench trials, arbitration hearings and mediation conferences.
Mr. Altemus has argued before Maryland's Court of Special Appeals and litigated cases in the Courts of Appeals for both Maryland and the District of Columbia. He has also represented clients in administrative matters, including cases filed with the District of Columbia's Zoning Commission, and Alcoholic Beverage Regulatory Administration.
Mr. Altemus's experience is well rounded, having worked on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants during his career. His years of defending hospitals and doctors gave him a deep understanding of medicine, and how serious injury cases are evaluated and defended by insurance companies. He now incorporates that knowledge into his representation of injured persons seeking compensation for the wrongs bestowed on them. Understanding the operations of the others side gives Mr. Altemus and his clients a distinct advantage in successfully litigating their cases.
Areas of Practice
- 90% Medical Malpractice
- 5% Personal Injury
- Criminal Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Maryland, 1994
- District of Columbia, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 2002
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. - 1993
- American University , Washington , District of Columbia
- B.A. - 1990
- Major: Philosophy
Past Employment Positions
- The Honorable James L. Ryan, Judicial Law Clerk , 1993 - 1994
- McCarthy & Costello , Associate , 1994 - 2005
- Wilson, Elser, Associate , 2005 - 2010